Some Things Make You Wanna Slit Your Wrists

|
Ever get that sinking feeling that maybe the Mullahs are right about us after all? Lord, have mercy, the lead article in WaPo's Style section today is about an abomination known as "Club Libby Lu," wherein mothers bring their tiny little girls to have glamour makeovers for their birthdays. And this "glamorizing" means dressing girls as young as three or four like Britney Spears and teaching them to "shake it." The accompanying photos literally make me sick at heart. A burqa for my daugter before I teach her the height of glamour is to behave like fodder for pedophiles:
Sometimes people walking through the mall gather by the windows at Club Libby Lu to watch the spectacle of little girls: all that pink and glitter. All that flesh, too.
A woman passing by says to three blondes in tight outfits, the youngest of whom is 4: "If you're wearing those kind of clothes, you gotta shake your booty."
So maybe now's the moment to mention the Naomi Wolf piece in the NYT awhile back on what the most popular "Young Adult" books are about now? It's way beyond Judy Blume. My server won't even let me link to the orginal article --"weighted phrase limit exceeded"-- (what does that tell you?), but here's a blog-post where you can find it for yourself. I marvel not that such books are written and marketed; I recall what it was like to be 13 & curious and sneak Judy Blume novels or Teen magazine into the house --not that I recall them being banned, but I'd have been ashamed to look at them in front of my parents!. So what can these mothers be thinking who stuff their kids' heads with this stuff on the ground, "at least they're reading"?
Light blogging this weekend. I have the vapors. Plus, I'm going to go hug my little girl and read her something worthwhile.