Did St. Patrick Have Red Hair?

|
Looking for something to post besides green beer and shamrocks, I discovered that Patrick was born in Scotland. He was kidnapped by pirates at 14, spent 6 years in slavery, then escaped to France, where he studied to be a monk before discerning he was called to be a missionary instead. What would motivate a man to devote his adult life to serving the people who'd stolen his youth?

I came to the Irish people to preach the Gospel and endure the taunts of unbelievers, putting up with reproaches about my earthly pilgrimage, suffering many persecutions, even bondage, and losing my birthright of freedom for the benefit of others. If I am worthy, I am ready also to give up my life, without hesitation and most willingly, for Christ's name. I want to spend myself for that country, even in death, if the Lord should grant me this favor. It is among that people that I want to wait for the promise made by him, who assuredly never tells a lie. He makes this promise in the Gospel: "They shall come from the east and west and sit down with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob." This is our faith: believers are to come from the whole world.
--from the Confession of Saint Patrick
In 33 years he converted Ireland from a bastion of paganism to the "Land of Saints" and a repository of learning during the Middle Ages, and it's not an exaggeration to say that those of us in the New World who are Catholic owe our faith also to the Irish missionaries, his spiritual children. Seems like he ought to get better than green beer as an offering; maybe what ninme's having.