Fr. Schall Explains It All, 2

|
Having read it through several times now, I'm convinced Deus Caritas Est is one of the boldest Church documents we've seen in awhile. B16 is gentle, but he is also direct. In discussions of the Theology of the Body, JPG intimated that erotic love's purpose is ultimately to lead us outside ourselves until we "give the sincere gift of self." He taught that erotic love that became self-seeking would to that extent become poisonous. But I don't think he ever outright said that ultimately all loves are the same: in God they are the same. God has eros for us. That's radical. (And of course it has to be properly understood so as not to come up with a very weird Zeus & Leda idea. But that's what the man said.)
Everything else the Church teaches flows from that.
The encyclical reads as if he were giving us a lecture in the best sense: the master teacher walks us through the topic, cites examples, reveals himself along the way. For all the talk about his not being as charismatic as JP the Great, I find his writing is much more personal (by which I mean no rebuke to JPG, I simply note a difference).
But I'm getting carried away with my own reflections. Here I just wanted to point out to you Fr. Schall's initial response, in which he discusses these things in his inimitable manner.