Scalito

|
That's what his enemies call him, although I predict the name that will stick will be "Samalito," as the President repeatedly referred to him in the announcement this morning. Everyone on our side is ecstatic, and I admit it's a relief to have everyone back on the same side and playing nice-nice again. Random Thoughts:

  • A family friend just sent me her lawyer son's reaction. I think he wrote it, although the email doesn't quite make it clear.
    To the tune of "Maria":
Alito . . .(sings)The most beautiful sound I ever heard:
Alito, Alito, Alito, Alito . . .
All the beautiful sounds of the world in a
single word . .Alito, Alito, Alito, Alito . . .
Alito! I’ve just met a judge named
Alito,
And suddenly that name
Will never be the same
To me.
Alito! (etc., etc.)

  • A fifth Catholic to the Court. You can see why Bush was eager to have an evangelical instead. Likely impact on Kennedy? He'll be more eager than ever to differentiate himself as an independent mind and swing more Left.

  • I'm content with Alito, but just to stick it in everyone's eye, Miers' acceptance speech was better. Alito offered boilerplate about the "rule of law," which I won't hold against him but which is insufficient ground for the reining in of SCOTUS. Miers spoke of fidelity to the Founders' vision.

  • Is it just me, or did President Bush appear to be sucking lemons while making his announcement? He seemed extremely peeved to have to be doing this (no reflection on Alito). His long justification of Alito's qualifications seemed to dare either side to object.

  • One final note, but since it's lengthier, I'll post separately right beneath this post.